Did you know it takes less than twenty-four hours for tooth plaque to harden into calculus tartar? Although thorough, consistent and frequent oral hygiene helps keep plaque and tartar formation at bay, many areas of our mouths have areas that require professional dental hygiene services to remove hidden plaque and calculus.
During your regular scheduled periodontal cleaning and evaluation appointment at Westwoods Dental, you can expect, in addition to dental hygiene services:
- Review of diagnostic radiographs (x-rays): an important way to detect dental decay, cysts, tumors, and bone loss.
- Inspection of existing restorations and appliances: this involves checking current fillings, crowns, implants, appliances etc.
- Examination of teeth in order to detect dental decay.
- Screening for oral cancer: examining your neck, lips, cheek, face, tongue, throat, and gums for any signs of abnormalities.
- Review of and suggestions for your oral hygiene practices.
- Application of topical fluoride to help keep your teeth resistant to dental decay.
- Teeth polishing and stain removal to help bring back your naturally white, healthy style.
Additionally, our dental hygienists can help you maintain and improve your oral health with root decay, periodontal disease and fresh breath treatments. If you want to brighten your smile, your team at Westwoods Dental can provide you with professional Teeth Whitening options.
Hygienists are also responsible for relaying educational information including:
- Brushing and flossing instruction, to ensure your home-care techniques are effective
- Nutrition counseling
- Explanations of dental treatments
- Discussing future treatment